GeeXboX, is a Linux-based free and open-source media center distribution. GeeXboX is a full-fledged OS that leverages the power of XBMC media center to deliver a great, simple, and user-friendly experience. Below is the GeeXboX 3.0 release announcement:
A shiny new GeeXboX release has arrived! GeeXboX 3.0 is a major upgrade that integrates XBMC 11 “Eden” and adds the long-requested PVR functionality. This means you can finally use GeeXboX to watch and record live TV too! In addition to our usual x86 ISOs, this release is also available for several embedded platforms, with working full HD video and graphics acceleration for most of them.
A year in the making, this new GeeXboX 3.0 release is the accomplishment of hours, days, months of efforts from a lot of people. The ISO image of “GeeXboX for PC” edition grew up to 140 MB, mostly due to additional firmware and drivers to improve hardware support. We still think of GeeXboX as a lightweight distro, aiming at targeting the most PCs and devices as possible. The whole base system has been overhauled as usual, with countless package upgrades for improved stability and functionality, also benefitting from several improvements to the underlying OpenBricks build system.
Recommended For You:: How to install XBMC Media Center with CrystalHD support on Ubuntu
GeeXboX also support many embedded devices running ARM SoCs (such as TI OMAP4 Pandaboard, nVidia Tegra 2, Solid-Run Cubox powered by Marvell Armada, ST-Ericsson Snowball), and more will be coming soon. Preliminary support for Toshiba AC100 (Tegra2-based netbook) and Raspberry Pi is already integrated in the development tree.
Here’s a roundup of the new release:
GeeXboX 2.0 New features:
- XBMC Media Center 11 “Eden” frontend
- PVR support for DVB Digital TV, to watch and record live TV
- Improved remote control support
- Support for Full HD videos on PandaBoard
- Support for Full HD videos on Cubox
- Improved HDD installation
- Installation support for (U)EFI systems
- Installation support for SSD’s
- NFS shares
- Samba auto-discovery
- UPnP / DLNA media discovery
- ZeroConf services announcements
- HTTP server
- FTP server
- SSH server
Read the full GeeXboX 3.0 Release Announcement here.
- GeeXboX ISO for PC (Version 3.0 - 64bits) - Version 3.0
- GeeXboX ISO for PC (Version 3.0 - 32bits) - Version 3.0
- GeeXboX ISO for TI OMAP4 Pandaboard (Version 3.0) - Version 3.0
- GeeXboX ISO for Cubox (Version 3.0) - Version 3.0
- GeeXboX ISO for ux500 Snowball (Version 3.0) - Version 3.0
- GeeXboX ISO for nVidia Tegra2 Harmony (Version 2.0) - Version 2.0
Download and give it a try.
If you just want a simple to install / manage Linux media center, then GeeXbox is the way to go. Enjoy!