Welcome to the htpcBeginner HTPC News Roundup 2017 Wk 40. This week saw adaptive streaming from Plex, new Roku devices, and more. Read on for the latest in HTPC news and updates!
Table of Contents
- htpcBeginner Recap
- SmartHomeBeginner Recap
- HTPC News Around the Web
- Plex makes its adaptive streaming tech available to all
- Big TV is trying to use lawsuits to crush pirated streaming on Kodi boxes
- Introducing the Roku streaming stick+ and the new Roku streaming player lineup
- UBS: Netflix will remain the ‘clear global leader' in video streaming
- Microsoft is finally shutting down its Groove Music streaming service
In case you missed them, here is a recap of all our interesting articles published last week:
- 9 Best music server software options: Build your own Spotify
- Best Amazon Fire TV games 2017 – Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick games
- Best private torrenting sites 2017: Top private torrent sites
- How to use PlayStation Vue with root on Fire TV and Android devices
Best Plex Client Devices:
- 5 smart home gadgets that make excellent housewarming gifts 2017
- 5 interesting and must-know facts about Z-Wave automation protocol
- 5 Best home controllers to tie your smart devices and make your home smarter – 2017
HTPC News Around the Web
Once again, Plex makes its streaming service even better. Among the superb features Plex rolled out recently, there's been VR support, a Plex for Kodi addon, live TV and DVR, plus streaming news. Now, Plex introduces its adaptive streaming tech for everyone. This greatly enhances the streaming experience, and makes it even easier to stream and maintain visible quality.
The war against pirate streaming continues, more specifically with a focus on the so-called “fully loaded Kodi boxes.” Remember, Kodi itself is perfectly legal and there are tons of legitimate Kodi boxes available. Big TV may be losing subscribers to the likes of over-the-air TV and streaming services. However, these companies contnue to persist. This new set of lawsuits which targets Kodi software, as Motherboard Vice puts it, stretches the defintion of piracy.
Among the top streaming devices around, Roku makes some of the best. WIth the release of its Streaming Stick+ and an array of new hardware, Roku further takes hold of the streaming space. In fact, you're better off getting a Roku than a smart TV. These new devices are up to 5x as powerful as previous generation Roku hardware. That's a major plus for the new gadgets.
There's no shortage of streaming services, from PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now, and Sling TV to Hulu and Funimation. But Netflix remains the top streaming service around. Although it may not have been the first of its kind, it certainly is the one which set the standard. As Business Insider reveals, Netflix rose to prominense as the leader of the pack. This is a trend which is set to continue, and moreover spans the globe.
Goodnight, sweet prince. Microsoft has announced that its streaming servie, Groove Music, is shutting down. Although music streaming services such as Spotify and Pandora are inceaingly popular, Groove Music simply didn't take off. However, there are plenty of alternatives including do-it-yourself (DIY) music server options.
Did you find any interesting news stories or projects from around the HTPC space? Share them with us in the comments section below!
IPVanish VPN Exclusive Offer - only $3.99 per month:
Windows, Android, Ubuntu
OSMC on RPi
♦ Hide your browsing (no logs), Anonymize Streaming and Downloads
♦ Circumvent Geo/Country Restrictions and access worldwide content
♦ Works on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Router, and more
♦ 250 GB of SugarSync Secure storage included
♦ Money back guarantee - Sign Up Now