Plex is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Emby, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. In this article we tell you about the changes introduced on the Plex Server 1.1.0 release. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Plex lets you install channels, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the channels let you listen to music from independent artists around the world, such as the Plex SoundCloud Channel. Others let you look at live TV streams; this is the case of the Plex FilmOn Channel.
Table of Contents
What's New in Plex Server 1.1.0 Release?
This Plex Server release is available for Plex Pass members and contains various improvements over the previous Plex Server version 1.0.3. You get, for example, support for videos in photo libraries, a new preference to enable or disable deep media analysis, the ability to update server from Plex Web without user intervention, and many other features and bugfixes. You can see the complete list of changes on Plex Server 1.1.0 below.
New in Plex Server 1.1.0 release
- Support videos in photo libraries. (#3928)
- Support uploading videos to photo libraries. (Android support is available now and other mobile apps are coming soon.) (#3522)
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 2.7.8.
- (Security) When server is signed in, clients must be signed in as well, even if they are on the LAN or on localhost. (#3819)
- (Preferences) New pref to enable/disable deep media analysis.
- (Windows) Updating the server from Plex Web no longer requires user intervention. (#4136)
Best Plex Client Devices:
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro Home Media Server - $199.99
- Amazon Fire TV Streaming Media Player - $89.99
- Roku Premiere+ 4K UHD - $83.99
- CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - $69.99
- Xbox One 500 GB Console - $264.99
Fixes in Plex Server 1.1.0 release
- (Sync) Items present in multiple synced playlists would only appear in the first synced playlist. (#4967)
- (Media Optimizer) Unexpected behavior when version jobs overlap to include the same videos. (#4840)
- (Media Optimizer) Reprocess item when original processing decided a media item was compatible, but the media item was deleted. (#4840)
- (Transcoder) Playback failures with pcm_dvd audio. (#4980)
- (Transcoder) Use faster AAC encoder on slower NAS systems. (#5058)
- (Media Analysis) Scanner hangs with early AAC files from iTunes. (#5041)
- (Media Analysis) Detect DTS-HD MA audio streams again. (#4766)
- (Media Analysis) Improve performance of deep media analysis. (#5068)
- (Media Analysis) Issues generating video preview thumbnails for certain HEVC videos on windows. (#5139)
- (Butler) Long-running Butler tasks could starve others from executing (#4873)
- (Chapters) Chapter thumbnail generation could fail repeatedly with invalid media. (#5043)
- (Metadata) Improve TVDB agent performance by not using TMDb information. (#5110)
- (Metadata) Changing title could overwrite sort title. (#3971)
- (Metadata) Fall back to release dates from TMDB when IMDB has no data. (#4978)
- (Metadata) Fall back to English-language fields when metadata is unavailable in desired language. (#5015)
- (Metadata) Show durations in minutes could be incorrectly interpreted as milliseconds (#5012)
- (Metadata) Handle empty movie release dates from TMDb. (#5096)
- (Photos) Photos might play back in wrong order. (#5035)
- (Nvidia Shield) Enable DLNA server. (#5013)
- (Windows) Install Media Feature Pack on Windows Anniversary Update N and KN (#5064)
- (Windows) Plex Relay process wasn't starting up in some configurations. (#5118)
- (OS X) Plex Relay executable wasn't correctly signed.
- (OS X) Occasional crashes on some older versions of MacOS. (#5028)
- (Android) Improve H.264 limitations in profile. (#4930)
- (iOS) 'Go to Show' from episode context menu wasn't working. (#4811)
- (Xbox One) Improve reliability when proxying Plex Companion commands. (#4002)
- Improve localization of certain error messages. (#4587)
You can read more about these changes in the Plex Official Forum. If you're interested in finding out a good device to stream from your Plex server, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices and see if any of them suit your needs.
Install or upgrade Plex Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Plex Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Plex in other devices such as Plex server on NVIDIA SHIELD. Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Plex Server!