Plex is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Emby, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. In this article we tell you about the changes introduced on the Plex Server 1.1.4 release. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Plex lets you install channels, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the channels let you listen to music from independent artists around the world, such as the Plex SoundCloud Channel. Others let you look at live TV streams; this is the case of the Plex FilmOn Channel.
Table of Contents
What's New in Plex Server 1.1.4 Release?
This Plex Server release is available for Plex Pass members and contains various improvements over the previous Plex Server version 1.1.3. With the release of Plex Server 1.1.4 you get an update to Plex Web to version 2.8.1, an enabled DLNA server, as well as improved crash reporting infrastructure, and some other upgrades. You can see the complete list of changes on Plex Server 1.1.4 below.
New in Plex Server 1.1.4 release
- (Web) Updated Plex Web to 2.8.1.
- (Nvidia Shield) Enable DLNA server. (#5013)
- (Security) Allow http requests using the server's machine name to authenticate using the "networks allowed without auth" preference. (#5270)
- Improved crash reporting infrastructure. (#4669)
Best Plex Client Devices:
Fixes in Plex Server 1.1.4 release
- (LG) Connectivity problems when older LG MediaLink TVs connect to signed-in servers with whitelisted IP addresses. (#5271)
- (Ubuntu) Installation failures on certain VPS systems lacking /proc/1/comm. (#5300)
- (QNAP) Issues restarting PMS after unclean shutdown. (#5309)
- (Trailers) Plex Movie agent 'Use red band (restricted audiences) trailers when available' preference was being ignored when downloading trailers. (#5298)
- Enabling network logging in clients could cause the server to hang. (#5277)
- Spurious "Streaming session doesn't exist" errors when playing synced content on certain clients. (#5264)
You can read more about these changes in the Plex Official Forum. If you're interested in finding out a good device to stream from your Plex server, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices and see if any of them suit your needs.
Install or upgrade Plex Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Plex Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Plex in other devices such as Plex server on NVIDIA SHIELD. Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Plex Server!