Lost your Roku TV remote? Did your Roku TV remote stop working? Here are the only replacement Roku TV remote options you should consider.
So my 2-year old daughter is a chewer. She not only chewed my Sharp Roku TV remote and broke the "OK" button but ended up swallowing it.
Suddenly, I found myself in the market for Sharp Roku TV remote replacement. [Read: My Smart Home setup – All gadgets and apps I use in my automated home]
After extensive research and looking at various types available, here is a list of what I consider as the 8 best replacement Roku TV remote options.
I will list the pros and cons to help you pick the right one. I will also share the one I ended up picking.
Table of Contents
- Roku TV Remotes
- Replacement Roku TV Remote Options
- 1-ClickTech Roku TV Replacement Remotes
- Official Roku Remotes
- Other Third-Party Remotes
- Final Thoughts on Replacement Remotes for Roku TVs
Roku TV Remotes
There are several options for a replacement Roku TV remote. In fact, searching for one can be overwhelming. Most of them are basically identical.
But there are some that differ and offer advanced features and convenience. The list below covers almost all (if not all) types of replacement remotes for Roku TV you will find in the market.
Types of Roku TV Remotes
Officially there 5 Roku TV remote variations:
- Simple Remote - Basic, Infrared only remote. Requires you to point directly at the device to work reliably. No voice support or private listening options. Most third-party or after-market Roku remotes also belong to this category and are cheaper than official remotes.
- Voice Remote - Includes a built-in microphone for voice support. In addition, it can be pointed anywhere to control the TV.
- Enhanced Remote - Includes features of simple and voice remotes, plus, a headphone jack for private listening.
- Gaming Remote - Include all of the above features, plus, A/B gaming button and motion control.
- Roku Mobile App - This is the most featureful of all remotes. It is free, supports voice, point anywhere, private listening, and more. It also allows you to manage multiple devices and even browse for content.
In this article, you will find a replacement remote for Roku TV in all of the above categories.
Replacement Roku TV Remote Compatibility
Most official remotes are compatible or made to work with any Roku product. Unofficial Roku TV remotes are mostly only compatible with Roku players and TVs (HiSense, TCL, Sharp, Onn, Insignia, Westinghouse, and more), not streaming sticks.
How to replace a Roku Remote (Pairing)?
Roku remotes are paired up to their device during manufacturing. But pairing new remotes to devices is extremely simple and one of the following methods should work:
- Plug and Play - Most IR remotes work out of the box. This is true for all after-market/third-party replacement Roku TV remotes listed below. In fact, many of them do not even have a sync/pair button.
- Enchanced Remotes - Put new batteries in (or remove and re-insert batteries) and place the remote near the TV. It should automatically pair.
- Pair/Sync Button - Many enhanced remotes also have a pair/sync button inside the battery compartment. Press and hold the button for about 5 seconds. The LED pairing light should turn on and the pairing process should start. The pair/sync button also resets the Roku TV remote.
- Mobile App - Mobile app should automatically find Roku devices connected to the same network. Connect to any Roku device using the mobile phone app. Once connected, the app can help you pair a Roku remote. Find and click Find Remote and the device should start looking for nearby remotes. This method is said to pair even enhanced remotes with unsupported/older streaming sticks.
Replacement Roku TV Remote Options
With the basic information about Roku TV remotes explained, let us look at what you actually came here for. The 8 best replacement remotes for Roku TV. Whether you are replacing a broken Roku TV remote like me or just looking to upgrade your Roku remote, these 8 options should steer you in the right direction.
1-ClickTech Roku TV Replacement Remotes
That's right, I have listed an unofficial Roku TV remote as the top option (and no I am not paid to do this). You will see why I picked this one over the official offerings.
Right off the bat, there is nothing fancy about these two remotes - no point anywhere or voice features. But there are some things I really love.
1-clicktech offers two different models.
This Roku TV replacement remote offers 4 customizable shortcuts. This is the model I picked and disabled the shortcuts I do not use. It even allows you to remap the keys to another supported service (as long as you do not mind the mismatched logo/icon on the key).
For only about $10, this one is an excellent pick and, in my opinion, a no-brainer over the official simple remote.
1-clicktech also offers a model with 6 customizable shortcut buttons. This one again is fully customizable with supported services.
If you are into multiple OTP or streaming services, then this 6-shortcut Roku TV remote might be a better choice for only a couple of dollars more.
Official Roku Remotes
Official Roku remotes are of excellent quality. They are known for their minimalistic design compared to traditional remotes.
Visually, there are no major differences between the official Roku physical remotes.
The biggest drawback with official Roku remotes is that there is no way to tell which 4 shortcut buttons you will receive. This appears to be changing constantly, presumably based on which service offers more money to Roku of this premium spot.
Roku also offers a gaming remote, which also includes some gaming features (two extra A/B gaming buttons and motion control), in addition to voice support and private listening. This remote is not discussed in this post.
3. Simple Remote - $15
The official Roku simple remote, as the name suggests is the simplest of all official remotes.
It is usually bundled with inexpensive Roku streaming sticks such as the Express and Premier. It is also often included with some of the more affordable or older Roku TV models. In fact, my 2-year old TCL 55R615 model came with this simple remote.
Some of the third-party replacement Roku TV remotes, especially the 1-clicktech remotes listed above, provide more advanced features than the Roku simple remote. So if you are looking for a basic Roku TV replacement remote, then I would pick one of the cheaper after-market Roku remotes.
4. Voice Remote - $20
The official Roku voice remote is the next level from the simple remote. It is usually bundled with certain model TVs and Roku media players.
The Roku Voice Remote, as the name suggests, adds voice command support with the built-in microphone. In addition, it also supports point anywhere feature for controlling the TV, unlike the simple IR remote.
This is one of the most common replacement Roku TV remote models. If you are a fan of the official remotes then this is a great choice.
5. Enhanced Voice Remote - $30
The Roku enhanced voice remote offers everything that the simple and voice remotes offer, plus, built-in headphone jack for private listening.
In my opinion, the private listening option is one of the best features of Roku devices. This is used very commonly in our household to watch stuff without disturbing the other members, especially during sleep.
Although the device compatibility is quite stringent, it is possible to pair an enhanced remote with older devices. Connect to the device using the mobile Roku app and select find remote. Using this method, you should be able to pair an older Roku device, including streaming sticks, to the enhanced remote.
6. Roku Mobile App and Remote - Free
The last official replacement remote for Roku TV is probably one of the best, in my opinion: Roku Mobile App. It is versatile, feature-rich, and more importantly free.
Honestly, if you are a minimalist and don't like gadgets lying around, then the Roku app is a great option as one almost always has a smartphone around them these days.
Other Third-Party Remotes
In addition to the 1-clicktech after-market remote listed above, I am listing two more replacement Roku TV remotes here, each for a specific reason.
This is an OEM standard replacement remote for Roku TVs (including Onn, Sharp, Hisense, TCL, and more) and is slightly cheaper.
Other than it being slightly cheaper, I do not see any other reason to go for this one. If you prefer the official look but prefer the unofficial price then go for this one.
There is hardly any difference between the hundreds of Roku TV replacement remotes available online. Therefore, the main reason I listed one below is for: can you guess it based on the picture?
Yes, the shape of the remote. If you hate the typical Roku remote shape and prefer a more traditional remote shape then pick this one. Other than that, there is nothing special about this replacement remote for Roku Televisions.
Final Thoughts on Replacement Remotes for Roku TVs
When my Sharp Roku TV remote broke, I almost freaked out thinking it was going to cost a lot (around $50) to replace the remote. After my research, I was pleasantly surprised with the number of replacement Roku TV remote options.
I could find remotes for as low as $7. But understanding the types of available remotes and picking the right one took a bit of work.
I am extremely satisfied with my 1-clicktech remote. I have disabled the unused shortcut channels - no more accidentally starting a channel. However, I wish there was a way to reprogram the shortcuts to any channel I want (eg. Plex) rather than a set of specified channels.
My hope was to share my learnings with you and simplify your search for a replacement remote for Roku TV. If you have other options that worked great for you, please share them with the rest of the readers in the comment section.