Plex is an application useful to set up and manage your own media center, and connecting several devices within your network (or outside of it) to your home server, to stream media and enjoy your content wherever you are. In this regard it is similar to Emby, and you could compare both to find out their strong and weak points against each other. In this article we tell you about the changes introduced on the Plex Server 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 release. [Read: Plex vs Emby: A Comprehensive Comparison]
Plex lets you install channels, in order for you to be able to get interesting content. You can also enjoy your media library collection, and there are options to do it even if you are not at home. Some of the channels let you listen to music from independent artists around the world, such as the Plex SoundCloud Channel. Others let you look at live TV streams; this is the case of the Plex FilmOn Channel.
Table of Contents
What's New in Plex Server 1.0.3 Release?
This Plex Server release is available for Plex Pass members and contains various improvements over the previous Plex Server version 1.0.1. You get, for example, an updated media flags bundle, as well as several bugfixes. Here's the full list of improvements and fixes:
New in Plex Server 1.0.2 release
- Save track offsets in music libraries that have opted in. (#3370)
- Updated Media Flags bundle.
Fixes in Plex Server 1.0.2 release
- (OS X) Startup failures on some older versions of MacOS. (#4969)
- (Windows) DLNA server process might not have a firewall exemption. (#4136)
- (Claiming) Better error message if server claiming fails (#4907)
- (Linux) Fix migration script for users with custom app data directories. (#4808)
- (Linux) Improve Fedora/Ubuntu SELinux support. (#4808)
- (Metadata) Issues fetching metadata for Pokémon TV series. (#4966)
- (Metadata) Handle multiple directors returned from TVDB. (#4960)
- (Metadata) Fetch localized titles correctly using Plex Movie Agent. (#4963)
Best Plex Client Devices:
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro Home Media Server - $199.99
- Amazon Fire TV Streaming Media Player - $89.99
- Roku Premiere+ 4K UHD - $83.99
- CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - $69.99
- Xbox One 500 GB Console - $264.99
Fixes in Plex Server 1.0.3 release
- Crash handling certain requests from PS4 clients. (#4984)
- (OS X) Don't prevent the display from going to sleep.
- (Metadata) Issues obtaining data from TVDB, requiring server restart.
- (Metadata) Fallback to English TVDB searches when searching with another language fails. (#4933)
- (Metadata) Tracks and disc numbers in premium music libraries could be affected by bad tag data. (#4437)
You can read more about these changes in the Plex Official Forum. If you're interested in finding out a good device to stream from your Plex server, you could take a look at the best Plex client devices and see if any of them suit your needs.
Install or upgrade Plex Server
You can follow the instructions in our guide to install Plex Server on Windows, if you use that operating system. Alternatively, stay tuned for more guides to install Plex in other devices such as Plex server on NVIDIA SHIELD. Enjoy managing and streaming your media with Plex Server!