Some time ago we reviewed an app that is already offering some revolutionary capabilities to interconnect your devices and access your files no matter where you are. In our Younity review, we presented to you the new actor on the Emby vs Plex battle for the title of "best home server application"; with a twist: Younity is not aimed to streaming media from a server only. It's more than that, an app that enables you to connect your devices to each other and have your files readily acccesible on your mobile, tablet, laptop, desktop, and so on. However, the catch with our previous review was that Younity was only available for iOS devices at that time. That's not a problem anymore, because today a Younity Android app has been released. What does Younity for Android offer, though? [Read: 5 Most common NAS or Home Server uses]
Younity for Android: freedom on handling your media
Younity Android released today, and we already know some of its most interesting features. As Android devices are an important market segment and have become pretty much ubiquitous, this only means you could use Younity on even more devices, and connect them all, regardless of what OS you use. Younity is available now for Mac, Windows, Android and iOS, covering a really wide spectrum of possible uses and applications. I would, for example, install Younity for Android on one of these 5 best Android media players below $100, and have the device stream from my desktop computer.
Best Android TV Boxes:
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro Home Media Server - $199.99
- Amazon Fire TV Streaming Media Player - $89.99
- WeTek Play 2 Hybrid Media Center - $134.00
- Kukele Octacore Android TV Box - $179.99
- U2C Android TV Box - $95.99
The possibilities are truly endless when you have an app that lets you essentially share all your files across devices, but here are some of the most interesting uses you could give to it on the Android platform.
Younity for Android: main features
- Access and stream your video and music collections on-demand.
- Stream all your iTunes music to your Android devices for free.
- Search and access all the photos on your computers, including Lightroom catalogs and Apple Photo libraries.
- Access documents across multiple computers on the go.
- Unify all your content and media libraries across your computers into one organized menu in the younity app.
- Search all your content at once.
- Download any of your media to your mobile devices for unlimited offline access.
- Keep large files off of your Android smartphone, but still have access to them.
What is Younity?What is younity Mobile?
Know more about Younity with this interesting video explaining what it is and what you can do with it.
Would you recommend using Younity for Android?
I must confess I actually got excited when I saw the Younity Android app was released. As an Android user myself, I wanted to try the freedom that Younity offers in handling your files across devices. Having several Android devices and a laptop computer, it could become useful for me personally in my everyday life, for work and leisure. I am always concerned about security, but with Younity I actually wouldn't worry because all files are accessed through a peer-to-peer personal connection across my own devices. If you want to know more about this app, go to the Younity official website, or simply try it out. It's free!