About 320 bucks will put the HP Pavilion 300 Mini PC on your table. At least, that was the price for the HP Pavilion 300-220 model we analyzed. This HP Windows Mini PC has great specs and includes peripherals. It can act as a media server if you want to use Plex on Windows, for example. Is it worth investing in this HP Pavilion Windows player? We will analyze this question in detail in this HP Pavilion 300 review. [Read: Guide: How to install Kodi on Windows in three easy steps]
In this HP Pavilion 300 review we noticed that this device runs Windows, which is great whether you want to use it as a server or a media player. You can also install Windows apps on it, such as Freetelly for Windows, and improve your content options. I would recommend using it as a server, because it is too expensive to be only used as a player. In fact it can be used for many more things, including casual gaming. Since this HP Windows Mini PC includes keyboard and mouse, you will not need a wireless HTPC keyboard. This device brings a good amount of RAM, but you can expand it as well, to make its specs even better and have a better performance.
Recommended HTPC / Home Server Builds 2017:
- Best Home Theater PC Build 2017 to do it all (Plex, Kodi, NAS, Gaming)
- Best Emby Server builds 2018 – Pre-built and DIY options
- Medium Budget 4K HTPC Build 2017 for Kodi, Plex and Gaming
- Cheap 4K HTPC Build for Kodi, OpenELEC, and LibreELEC 2017
- Low Power Home Server Build 2017 for Network File and Media Storage
- Best HTPC for Kodi with 4K on a Medium Budget 2017 (~$400)
- Energy efficient budget HTPC-NAS combo build 2016
HP Pavilion 300 Review: Nice, yet Expensive
A definite downside to this device, the price is not really geared towards people on a budget. Having so many options to choose from, it seems almost like this HP Windows Mini PC would not be worth the investment. This feeling goes away though, once we have a look at the specs of this tiny monster.
HP Pavilion 300 review: Technical Specifications
- Processor: Intel Pentium processor 3805U
- Operating system: Windows 10 Home
- Memory (RAM): 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3
- Hard drive: 500GB (7200RPM) SATA
- Wireless: Integrated Bluetooth 4.0 and Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n featuring 24GHz 1×1 technology.
- Video graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400. Up to 4203MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows 10.
As you can see, the HP Pavilion Windows player is quite a monster, in a good way. 4GB of RAM will enable you to take on more tasks simultaneously, or have a good video quality. The Hard drive does have a decent amount of space, albeit a bit limited, and wireless connectivity is good, to connect to your Wi-Fi or to attach wireless peripherals to your setup. Regarding connectivity, this device is well equipped. The HP Windows mini PC comes with HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, as well as four USB ports to connect your peripherals. [Read: Flirc USB dongle review: control your HTPC with any remote]
HP Pavilion 300 Review: would you recommend it?
The HP Pavilion 300 is a device with insane capabilities which will let you stream and watch lots of content with a great quality and a smooth performance. Unfortunately, its price tag is on par with what it can do, and this device is, therefore, too expensive to use as a Windows streamer. If you want a home server, consider buying this device, though. Its hardware specs make for a great server option out of the box. If you are interested in other high-end devices, take a look at the NVIDIA SHIELD TV, widely regarded as the best Android media player. If you want a cheaper Windows device, the Lenovo Ideacentre 300 Media Stick might be a better option for your needs. Choose your next hardware device with our help, reading our reviews!